Ready to Enrol

  • Nationally Recognised
  • Valid in Hospitality and Health & Community Services 
  • Online Course
  • Secure Online Payment


Enrol Now


Payments and Customer Data are secured with industry standard 128-bit SSL Technology.

View All Food Safety Short Courses
See What Customers Say About us on Facebook & Google

Australia has a legal requirement that anyone who handles, prepares or serves food as part of their job must be trained in food safety. This course, whilst designed to help you meet this legal requirement, more importantly equips you with critical knowledge and skills to avoid contributing to people getting ill or even dying from food safety incidents.

Foundation Food Safety Skills

This course will help you develop strong foundation food safety skills and help ensure you stay compliant with the Food Standards Code. This course is ideal if you would like to work in an industry where you’ll be handling food or you’re already working in such an industry so need to meet the minimum requirements for food safety training. Training covers personal hygiene, safe food handling and how to identify food safety hazards. There are no prerequisites required for you to enrol in this course.

Nationally Recognised

The Units of Competency you undertake in your Food Handling Certificate course are fully accredited and upon completion you’ll receive a Statement of Attainment valid across all of Australia. Your Statement of Attainment can also be used towards further courses such as a Food Safety Supervisor or as a Credit Transfer into a Certificate or Diploma.

Online Training – Easy & Intuitive to Use

Redmako Learning online courses are engaging, interactive and easy to navigate. Train at your convenience – finish in a few hours or take your time, your enrolment is valid for 12 months.

TIP: If you harbour ambitions of promotion or supervision in your workplace, you’ll likely need to progress to Food Handling Certificate (Level 2). Did you know that you can save money if you do both Level 1 and 2 at the same time? Check out our Food Safety Supervisor (Level 1 & 2) course for more details.

The Food Handling Certificate (Level 1) course is designed for people who handle, prepare or serve food as part of their job. It can be taken as a stand-alone course to meet the Australia-wide legal requirement that all food handlers are trained in food safety or to progress through to becoming a Food Safety Supervisor.

The content of the course ensures that individuals are aware of their responsibilities as a food handler and provides comprehensive information about personal hygiene and best practice for ensuring food safety. At the end of the course, students are expected to be able to identify food safety hazards in the workplace and know what to do if a food safety incident occurs.

The Food Handling Certificate (Level 1) course is broken down into four interactive lessons:

Food Safety Laws and Guidelines

Learn about laws and regulations that cover food safety in Australia such as the Australia New Zealand Food Standard and food safety programs.

Food Safety Hazards and How to Address Them

Learn to identify dangers and other factors that can compromise food safety and take action to ensure food handled is safe.

Personal Hygiene

Understand and comply with requirements for personal hygiene that include hand washing, clothing, illness and behaviour.

Maintaining a Clean Workplace

Learn to clean and sanitise work areas. This includes pest control, waste management, food disposal and equipment maintenance.

The assessment for the Food Handling Certificate (Level 1) includes:

1. Quizzes

At the end of each section you’ll need to undertake a multiple choice quiz. Once you have scored 100% you will be able to progress. You have up to five attempts at each quiz.

2. Case Studies

The case studies are to confirm you can apply what you’ve learnt to a real-life, practical situation. You’ll need to review the Case Study ahead of answering a series of questions about the best way to handle the scenario.

3. 3rd Party Verification

To attain this Nationally Recognised unit of competency you need to be observed practicing food safety skills e.g. washing your hands. Such an observation isn’t possible via Online training, that’s why we need you to ask somebody that you work with (present or past) or someone who works in the food industry to complete this 3rd Party Verification form about tasks they’ve seen you doing.

The Food Handling Certificate (Level 1) course is applicable to Food Handlers working in many industries and meets the Australia-wide legal requirement that Food Handlers must be trained in food safety.

Redmako Learning offers this Certificate for the Hospitality (e.g. Restaurants, cafes, catering, pubs, clubs, etc) industry and the Health & Community Services industry (e.g. Childcare, Aged Care & Hospitals). The units of competency vary between these 2 industries – so at enrolment you’ll be asked to nominate the industry applicable to you.


Health & Community Services 

SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety 

HLTFSE001 Follow basic food safety practices 

If you later wish to upgrade to Food Safety Supervisor, then your Statement of Attainment for this Level 1 course can be used, in conjunction with you completing the Food Handler (Level 2) course so that you achieve Food Safety Supervisor recognition.

The NSW Food Authority requires NSW hospitality & retail food service business operators/staff to undertake their training with specific Registered Training Organisations. If you are in NSW and working in hospitality or retail, please consult this list for a provider who can assist you. Alternatively, if you’re in NSW and wanting to undertake training for the Health & Community Services industry (e.g. Childcare, Aged Care & Hospitals) – please proceed to Enrol with Redmako Learning where you’ll be invited to nominate this industry.

Please see responses to some of our most frequently asked questions below, alternatively please Contact Us for more information & details about any of our courses.

How long does the course take to complete?

To work through the learner guides & complete the required assessment, takes most people around three to four hours to complete.

What’s the difference between a Food Handler & a Food Safety Supervisor?

A Food Handler is anyone that handles, prepares or serves food as part of their job, who under Australian law must be trained in food safety. Food Safety Supervisors are often a legal requirement of a food business license and these Supervisors are required to have undertaken more comprehensive food safety training than Food Handlers.

Why do I need to do a 3rd Party Verification Report?

These units of competency are ‘Nationally recognised’ which means they have to adhere to standards, rules and regulations that govern the Vocational Education & Training (VET) industry. Such standards include how training organisations assess students undertaking Food Safety training – including the need to be observed practicing food safety skills. Such an observation isn’t possible via Online training and so Redmako Learning have determined the simplest way is to provide you with a 3rd Party Verification Report so that you can ask someone within your workplace to confirm they’ve observed you.

When will I receive my Statement of Attainment?

Our assessors work full-time Monday to Friday and regularly assess within hours of students completing the course, however you should allow 1-2 business days for your Statement of Attainment to be received via email.

What if I require additional support?

Whether you need support with Enrolment, aspects of the learning or you have a challenge with Assessment – we’re here to help! Contact us to discuss your individual needs.

What is a USI & do I need one?

A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is required by all students undertaking Nationally recognised training in Australia – it’s issued by the Government and enables a central record of any training you undertake. Certificates & Statement of Attainments can’t be issued without the USI being provided. If you don’t already have a USI number, you can apply for one by going to

I’m an International Student, can I complete this course?

As an International Student you’re only allowed to study with a CRICOS institution, which unfortunately Redmako Learning is not. Please check the Australian Government registry to find an institution who can help you

Need Help?

Have questions or need help getting started? Contact our friendly support team today.

Click for Assistance